Smart companies understand how employees are collaborating, the effectiveness of their knowledge management tools and practices, and the level of employee confidence in the security and their ability to use the tools at work. Study after study shows that employees lack a central hub for storing company documents and information, and think security and privacy policies are unclear.
If you think this doesn’t have an impact on employee engagement, think again, because it does. Do you want to work for a company where you can’t find the critical information needed to do your job effectively and where the tech is so archaic that employees use a collection of non-sanctioned apps that create more problems than they solve? Me neither.
Some of the overall findings from an Igloo Software study include:
- 32% of employees have avoided sharing a document with a colleague because it would take too long to find.
- 41% of employees use non-sanctioned apps in the workplace because that’s what they use in their personal lives.
- 31% percent of employees would obtain their company logo from a Google search.
Departmental and industry findings include:
- 53% of healthcare professionals are only somewhat confident that a document they are accessing is the most updated version.
- Among financial services employees surveyed, 48% are only somewhat confident the information stored on their organization’s intranet is secure.
- 40% of HR professionals have avoided sharing a document with a co-worker because it would be too difficult to find.
WHAT CAN I DO? You need to understand how employees are collaborating, the effectiveness of your knowledge management tools and practices, and the level of employee confidence in the security and their ability to use the tools at work. Why? Because it impacts employee engagement. Once you get your arms around your current state of affairs, partner with IT and Security, and develop a plan to improve. It will be worth the effort!